1. We favour an electoral system that reflects the fundamental Liberal Democrat values of liberty, equality and community and helps to deliver a just and representative system of government.
2. We believe that to meet these values, an electoral system should deliver maximum power to the voter, enabling all voters to support representatives of their choice without fear of wasting their vote, and should result in elected members that are genuinely accountable to their electors and a representative body that proportionately reflects the opinions of the electorate.
3. We support the use of the Single Transferable Vote for all public elections, and for all internal party elections, as the system that best achieves these objectives.. We support other changes to democratic arrangements that will advance our values.
4. We seek to promote these values and objectives within the Liberal Democrats through influencing party policy, engaging with the party leadership and informng all party members on the benefits of these proposals. We seek to promote the Liberal Democrats externally as being at the forefront of the wider democratic reform movement and to work with other political and non-political organisations to promote our aims.
* These recently updated objectives have been agreed and are recommended by the LDER Executive. They will be put to all LDER paying members for approval at our next Annual General Meeting. This will be held via zoom on November 2, 2021 at 7.30pm. Go to: https://lder.org/en/event/detail/2021-11-02/lder-2021-annual-general-meeting for details and to join the meeting.
Our 2021-23 Goals
1. A commitment to implement PR for Westminster and for English local authority elections in the first Queens Speech after the next General Election.
2. To make an unambiguous, time-specific commitment to PR our 'red line' condition for any pre- or post- election pact with Labour or any other party.
Make cross-party and non-party collaboration a reality in order to achieve PR, as shown by its being a signatory to the Make Votes Matter (MVM) Good Systems Agreement (GSA). (Link to GSA).
Our 2021-23 Plan
1. Maximise the number of party members campaigning for reform. The prime focus for this effort is non-party/all-party ally campaigns, notably the MVM Action Days.
2. As a party AO, we cannot contact all members directly, but we will use conferences, virtual (zoom) meetings and other party communications, such as the e-newsletter and LD Voice to maximise contact and involvement.
3. We are creating campaigning materials for local LD parties, to make PR relevant to the voter - to show the connection between how we vote and how we live our everyday lives.
4. We actively support steps towards PR, such as in Wales, where there is potential for the adoption of single transferable vote in local and possibly Senedd elections.
5. We recognise PR is not the answer on its own to our democratic deficit. We support broader political reforms, including devolved powers, a written constitution, votes at 16, House of Lords reform. But we campaign actively on electoral reform to focus our resources and because it is the indispensable prerequisite for progressive democratic change.